If you have just been bitten by a dog, here are steps to follow:
- Identify the owner or individual(s) in charge of the dog when it bit you. You want contact information for them and any witnesses since you need to know who’s responsible if you decide to file a dog bite lawsuit.
- The first aid response is as follows:
- If the wound is severe, call 911.
- Use a clean towel to stop bleeding.
- Elevate the wound if possible.
- Use soap and water to wash the injured area.
- Place a bandage over the wound, making sure that it’s sterile.
- To keep the bite from becoming infected, gently treat it with antibiotic cream.
The above information has been directed toward the victim. If you are the owner and wanting to make sure your dog does not attack again, please see our page, “Where Should You Take a Dog That Bites?” Whether you’re the owner or the victim, you deserve concerned representation from an attorney. Speak with an experienced dog bite attorney now.