There are numerous ways to get help when you think that you or another person might be suffering from elder abuse in Polk County:
Elder abuse is a crime. Filing a police report can prevent further harm while creating a paper trail.
- Emergency: 911
- Lakeland PD Elderly Services Unit Phone: (863) 834-6912
- Lakeland PD Victim Assistance Program Phone: (863) 834-6914
- Lakeland PD Crime Prevention Unit Phone: (863) 834-6912
- Lakeland PD Website
- Polk County Sheriff Phone: (863) 298-6200 / (800) 226-0344
- Polk County Sheriff Website
Florida Abuse Hotline
This program overseen by the Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF) includes a 24/7 toll-free phone line and online reporting tool. You can anonymously report suspected or known abuse to the state, attaching any key files, without the need to create login credentials.
- Phone Hotline: 1-800-96-ABUSE (22873)
- TTY: 1-800-453-5145 x5098
- State of Florida Online Abuse Reporting Tool: ReportAbuse.dcf.state.fl.us
- Hotline Main Page
- Site of the Adult Protective Services Program (the state entity that manages the hotline)
Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program
This program is geared toward improving ongoing quality-of-life for those living in nursing homes or other long-term care facilities. “Volunteer ombudsmen… are trained to work with residents and their family members to communicate concerns and resolve problems by providing advocacy, support, education and empowerment,” explains the program’s official site.
- Local Phone: (863) 413-2764
- Toll-Free Phone: (888) 831-0404
- Site of the Department of Elder Affairs (the state entity that manages the program)
Polk County Elderly Services
This Polk County program, as its name suggests, provides services for elderly residents. Its resources are available to those who are at least 60 years old (along with disabled individuals aged 18 and above).
- Elder Help Line: (863) 534-5320
Are you concerned that you or a loved one might be suffering from elder abuse? Learn more on our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page, “What is Elder Abuse?” [link] To discuss the details of your situation and possible legal avenues, consult with a trusted and proven elder abuse lawyer today.